Saturday, June 11, 2011

Story 4: Purely Fictional

"So what's your story?" The forlorn eyes bore into mine and I felt a shiver crawl up my spine.

This seemed so final. Like I would be here forever.

"Oh, you will be," a small voice piped up. "They never want us back."

A small purple polka-dotted bunny seemed to materialize out of nowhere and hop next to the unicorn pony which had just spoken to me.

"We're stuck here for good it seems. Our owners don't want us anymore," the bunny squeaked in his thin, clear voice, his ears drooping dejectedly.

I felt a hole open up in my chest. I stood, rooted to the ground as if taking a step closer would deprive me of the little energy that I had left. Not want us anymore?

Not want me anymore?

"Don't look so surprised there, tiger. You knew this day was coming. Kids just don't want us to be there for them anymore."

Another voice.

This was too much. I didn't even turn around to see who the newcomer was.

I shook my head, trying to block out these absurdities that kept floating in my direction.

"No, you're wrong." I ground my teeth. "Something must have happened."

I felt movement behind me, - my whiskers twitched in automatic response and I saw a huge saddled reindeer walk into my field of vision. He stared at me with large, bright green eyes and I felt a wave of nausea crash over me.

"She can't have wanted me to leave, not yet," I managed to whisper. "She still hasn't found her way out."

The bunny looked at me with curiousity.

"Her way out?"

I turned around and got ready to leave into the open door, undaunted by what I might possibly find.

"I can't stay here. I need to help Ruby find her way out. She has been in her comma for over a year now. It's time she finally got out."

I bared my teeth and grinned.

I wasn't her imaginary friend for nothing.

I'm coming Ruby.

No comments:

Post a Comment